Thursday, May 21, 2015

Facing Down "Fontfrede"!

This morning we said "Au Revoir" or should I say " à Bientôt" to Céret because I have a feeling we will be coming back here. 

We've thoroughly enjoyed the town, the people and all that the area has to offer.

We had some time to spare so "Monsieur Honey" suggested we take the "HIGH" road to see Fontfrede or rather to see the views from high above Céret.

You know me I don't do "HIGH" and up, up and down very well!

We travelled the narrow windy and winding road that was marked leading us to "Fontfrede".

Yes I meant "windy" ... blowing leaves with the trees dance wildly in the light!

I didn't know how far we would have to go ... Monsieur Honey assured me it wasn't much farther, I believe he said that atleast five times ... It probably was more! 

This happened each time after I squeezed my eyes shut tight and screamed thru another hairpin turn! 

If you haven't figured it out yet I was sitting on the downhill / cliff side.

I hadn't done any prior reading or research on Fontfrede as in my wildest dreams I couldn't imagine that would be on our itinerary.

Our road trip included meeting up with a lone biker, a group of six bikers, a Cerét town white van and two other vehicles all of course on one of the crazy turns, and oh yes we were greeted by a group of cows standing the road. This all added to my anxiety ... if there's not nearly enough room for us, where are we suppose to go when you meet someone else face to face?

Bonjour! Comme ça va?


Here's a little info about Fontfrede Peak ... it is 1093M above sea level, it marks the pass of the same name where there is a monument in tribute to those who fled the Vichy region during the Second World War, here they crossed the Pyrennes seeking refuge in Spain.

I am not sure of the exact location of the monument as we did not go all the way up, we were close but changed direction at 800M ... and Monsieur assured me we were now going down the mountain,
oh no we weren't!



The views from up here were magnificent ...

This has to be my favourite "photo postcard" taken today ...






Here are some from our trip "downhill" sure Monsieur ... we were still high in the hills!



I survived albeit I still dislike heights! It was a white knuckle experience!

Now let's go to Provence!

No comments:

Post a Comment