Sunday, May 25, 2014

Tossa de Mar, Then and Now

This post is written by "Señor Honey".    

While our visit to Tossa was not intended as a "history tour" I should mention that I was last here fifty plus years ago.......my first trip abroad, as I was living in England then.

We have attempted to recreate photos to match the locations when I took them back in 1962; while much remains the same, many changes have occurred from what was a quiet fishing village.
                       







The most obvious difference is the change to tourism from one where most inhabitants worked in the fishing industry.
It wasn't until I was looking closely at the old photos that I realized this one of a young German girl (don't even ask!) was taken with the Hotel Diana in the background.

That is were we stayed this trip and is famous for being the hotel that Ava Gardner and her husband Frank Sinatra stayed when the movie "Pandora and the Flying Dutchman was made in Tossa de Mar in 1950.




So now you can see the before and the after.........sometimes things change or stay the same..........and so life goes!

2 comments:

  1. Hola,soy miembro de un grupo de facebook "Tossa de Mar Retro" y la acaban de publicar.Sabia que habia visto esta imagen en algún sitio.Solamente saludarla,un saludo! Atentamente;Gal Del Pepe

    ReplyDelete