Saturday, May 18, 2013

French "Gariottes".

While driving around the countryside of the Lot Valley in France, we have viewed several of these stone buildings. 

I was not sure what they were at first, because there are a lot of stone piles along the roadsides and in the fields.

Monsieur Honey believed them to be for animal shelter and/ or the shepherds.

We queried our friends, Madame M and Msr. Guy who told us that they are called ..."gariottes " and were used for shelter not for animals but for the workers.

"Gariotte" is defined as a dry stone cabin/hut used by winegrowers and shepherds to provide them protection from bad weather.

Today, if I had one of these on my land ...I think I would ask Monsieur Honey to restore it and make it into a fort for the grandsons or a playhouse for the granddaughters.





No comments:

Post a Comment