Saturday, April 7, 2012

Easter in France

Easter in France

Happy Easter everyone!

For the past month, the supermarkets have had large displays of chocolate confectionery ready for the Easter Bunny.

My fascination is with the displays in the Boulangeries and Patissieries, where the making of chocolates and candies is an art.

The French really take Easter seriously and love their chocolate even in their breakfast cereals.

There is a particular shop in town called “Llorca”.




This shop does it all.    

There is a large chocolate fountain in the window when you enter, and they make their own chocolates, truffles year round, plus they make ice cream and bake delicious pastries, desserts and of course all the different breads, croissants, etc.
Right now, the store’s display is a wonderland of Easter goodies.



They have baskets filled with various eggs, cellophane packages of goodies and  chocolate penguins.





We stopped into our other preferred bakery a day or so ago and it is also all decked out for Easter ….with special Easter breads…similar to brioche, pastry delicacies, and wonderful chocolate eggs, bunnies, etc.



On this day, I had my first real conversation with the Boulangère because we wanted to take some photos; and we always ask permission first.

I used my newly learned French and I tried to explain that I wanted some photos to show our little grandchildren back home and from there the conversation continued.

We also saw some beautiful window displays in other locations.


It so reminded me of a particular Easter that I spent in Belgium in the late 1950s with my parents and younger brother.
My brother was only two and I was four; we were ecstatic with the large wicker basket filled with chocolate eggs and goodies that we received from our Great-grandmother and aunts.
Somewhere in my treasure trove of old photos, I have a black and white picture of the two of us sitting at the table with our basket.


Today (07 April 2012) in Gourdon, there was a “Chasse aux Trésor”; similar to a scavenger hunt…Mother Nature was not very cooperative. It rained most of the day, but that did not deter the youngsters and their parents from participating.

Last Sunday (Palm Sunday), the parishioners gathered in the church square, and then a processional was held going into the Church with choral music.
As palm trees are not that common in this area, many brought bouquets of boxwood tree branches to be blessed.


Contrary to Canada ..Good Friday is not a Holiday in France...Easter Monday is a Holiday!

Happy Easter Everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment